MUS 224 - Class Piano 4
3 Studio Hours
Prerequisites: MUS 223
This course builds upon the piano skills and concepts covered in Class Piano 3. It covers diatonic modes, extended chords, melody harmonization and improvisation. Coursework integrates these music theory concepts with piano keyboard technique.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate proper piano playing technique.
- Perform major scales, minor scales and diatonic modes.
- Distinguish between different types of ninth, eleventh and thirteenth chords.
- Create multiple accompaniment patterns using lead sheet notation containing extended chords.
- Improvise melodies from given chord progressions.
- Create harmonic accompaniment from given melodies.
- Diatonic modes
- Extended chords
- Lead sheet notation
textbook, sheet music, internet, piano
Approved By: Bullock, Quintin Date Approved: 12/15/2014
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)