The Technical Theatre program provides students with an overview of the technical aspects of theater including theatrical terminology, scenic design, stage lighting, set construction, stage rigging and draperies, sound systems, and safety precautions that need to be taken when using hand and power tools and working in a theatre, on a movie set or for a television studio.
Upon completion of the program, graduates can obtain entry-level jobs as theatre set construction crew member or as a technical staff member for theatrical productions.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Develop materials necessary to stage manage a production, such as a prompt book or rehearsal schedule.
- Develop a concept and execute a lighting design.
- Synthesize elements of design and drama in order to construct scenery appropriate for a production.
- Communicate effectively with various theater practitioners, such as the director, scene designer and technical director.
- Construct both hard and soft theatrical flats.