2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Ultrasound), A.S. (554.6)
Associate of Science
DMS Admissions Requirements DMS Graduate Outcomes
Diagnostic ultrasound uses high frequency sound waves to image various organs and structures within the body.
The diagnostic medical sonographer is qualified by academic and clinical training to provide patient services using diagnostic ultrasound under the supervision of a qualified doctor of medicine or osteopathy.
The ultrasound profession is subdivided into nine specialties. The specialties offered at CCAC are General Ultrasound, Cardiac Ultrasound and Vascular Ultrasound. Students will select one specialty field of study in which to major.
Graduates enter the job market with skills necessary to function as entry-level diagnostic medical sonographers.
Enrollment is limited by availability of clinical sites and other factors. Students must make separate applications to the ultrasound program. Applicants must have a successful record of achievement in high school science courses, algebra and physics or develop these skills prior to program admission.
Students must also meet pre-program requirements*, which include the successful completion of the following courses with a letter grade of "C" or better:
Graduates are eligible to sit for the American Registry in Diagnostic Medical Sonography exam. Success on this exam leads to registration as a diagnostic medical sonographer.
The General Cardiac and Vascular specialties are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Apply principles of acoustic physics to image production.
- Obtain measurements and perform necessary calculations when needed to aid in diagnosis.
- Produce sonograms that accurately depict anatomical structures.
- Maintain ethical and professional standards when dealing with diverse consumers and other members of the health-care profession.
Students must choose one of the following fields of study:
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer - Track A: General Ultrasound: Abdomen, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer - Track B: Cardiac Ultrasound
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer - Track C: Vascular Ultrasound