Aug 10, 2022
MAT 202 - Calculus 2
4 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: MAT 201
This is a continuation of MAT 201 . Topics include additional applications of the definite integral, techniques of integration, improper integrals, infinite series, polar coordinates, calculus with parametric equations, vectors in two and three dimensional spaces and an introduction to differential equations.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Recognize the relationship among the Riemann Sum, the Riemann Integral and the Fundamental Theorem of calculus.
- Use integration by parts, partial fraction decomposition and several substitution techniques to evaluate definite and indefinite integrals.
- Evaluate improper integrals.
- Use theorems to test infinite series for absolute convergence, conditional convergence or divergence and to find intervals of convergence for power series.
- Find Taylor and Maclaurin series for various functions.
- Solve selected application problems.
- Perform operations on vectors in two and three dimensional space.
- Find the equations of lines and planes in three dimensional space.
- Draw the graphs of equations in polar coordinates.
- Determine the area of a region in polar coordinates.
- The definite integral and volume
- Improper integrals
- Techniques of integration
- Approximate integration
- Applications of integration
- Infinite sequences and series
- Three dimensional analytic geometry: the three dimensional coordinate system, lines and planes
- Vectors in two and three dimensional space
- Parametric equations
- Polar coordinates, graphing, area and arc length.
- First order differential equations
Each student is required to have the calculator and the textbook adopted by the Mathematics Department at the specific campus. If available, students may purchase the student solutions manual or make use of the interactive software and video tapes/DVDs located in the math laboratory.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/28/2013
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)