MIS 103 - Medical Insurance Seminar
3 Lecture Hours
Prerequisites: MIS 100
This course is designed to study the legal aspects of the medical office. Emphasis is placed on legal issues involving legal forms of consent, informed consent, DNR, living wills, the Red Flags Rule, HIPAA and OSHA regulations. Case studies involving false claims, Medicare/Medicaid regulations and compliance issues are analyzed. The topic of job readiness is covered including resume writing and interviewing techniques. This course requires a per credit health career fee; Check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Discuss issues related to professional ethics, fraud, abuse and compliance.
- Identify legal forms of consent and informed consent.
- Discuss the importance of HIPAA, the Red Flags Rule and OSHA as they pertain to the medical office.
- Discuss patient rights and responsibilities, DNR, Living Wills and end of life issues.
- Create an effective resume and cover letter.
- Describe the interview process including interview behavior and appearance.
- Current healthcare legal issues
- Compliance issues, professional ethics, fraud and abuse
- Fraudulent claims, bundling and unbundling coding issues
- Patient rights and responsibilities, DNR, Living Wills and end of life issues
- Legal consent, informed consent and abandonment
- HIPAA, Red Flags Rule and OSHA guidelines
- Job issues
Textbook, handouts, guest speakers, etc.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 04/28/2010
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)