Feb 02, 2023
CIT 281 - Project in Computer Forensics
2 Lecture Hours
Co-requisites: CIT 280
This is an advanced computer forensics course with an industry-based project. Students demonstrate their competencies in applying computer forensics knowledge and skills to real-world or hypothetical cases of computer security crimes or incidents. Students identify and work on projects involving government agencies, business organizations or hypothetical cases. The course culminates with the creation of an individual or team portfolio used to evaluate student competencies.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify the legal grounds or business rules and constituents related to the case assignment.
- Plan a solution to a computer forensics case with respect to the necessary facilities, technology, tools and required personnel.
- Apply the required critical thinking and problem-solving skills in the investigation.
- Defend the planned solution with supervisor or instructor or team members.
- Observe legal procedures and professional ethics throughout a case.
- Prepare a professional portfolio based on the assigned project that demonstrates computer forensic software used in the solution of the case.
- Case assignment and evaluation criteria
- Applicable laws and business regulations regarding the case
- Digital forensic techniques, tools and procedures
- Progress reports to supervisor or instructor
- Project management skills
- Documentation and portfolio development
Textbooks/material, current and appropriate software, multimedia for lecture and demonstration as required by instructor, access to the internet.
Students who successfully complete this course acquire general knowledge, skills and abilities that align with CCAC’s definition of an educated person. Specifically, this course fulfills these General Education Goals:
Approved By: Dr. Quintin B. Bullock Date Approved: 4/26/2021
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Technological Competence
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)