Feb 29, 2024
DMS 223C - Ultrasound Clinical 3/Abdomen-OB/GYN
360 Practicum Hours
Prerequisites: DMS 115C
Co-requisites: DMS 203, DMS 210
This course will offer the student an opportunity to refine skills in scanning, interpretation of the sonogram and in recognizing normal anatomical variations as well as pathology. The student will be able to gather pertinent clinical data in order to understand the total medical picture of the patient prior to the ultrasound examination. The student will be responsible for becoming familiar with portable, surgical, and special sonographic procedures and will assist in these areas. This course requires a per credit health career fee; check the tuition and fee schedule for the current rate. This course is graded on a pass/fail basis.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Apply appropriate interviewing techniques to elicit pertinent data from patient interview in order to complete the total medical and clinical picture.
- Identify and evaluate the pertinent laboratory data from charts, x-ray reports and other related areas in order to understand the total medical picture prior to the ultrasound examination.
- Present case findings to the interpreting physician.
- Synthesize sonographic images of pathology of the abdominal organs with control settings on the ultrasound machine and clinical signs and symptoms.
- Apply appropriate scanning techniques to visualize normal and abnormal structures in the abdomen, female pelvis and the fetus.
- Apply appropriate skills to carry-out physicians orders for sonograms using correct protocols and progress the examination to conclusion.
- Scanning techniques of the abdominal organs
- Scanning techniques of the pelvic organs
- Scanning techniques of pathology of the abdominal and pelvic organs
- Real time examinations of the fetus
- Scanning techniques of special procedures
Textbooks, library resources, journals and student clinical manual.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 05/18/2009
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)