Feb 21, 2024
EDU 140 - Teaching Children with Behavioral Disorders in a regular Classroom setting
1 Lecture Hours
This course provides the classroom teacher with information and strategies for teaching students who exhibit behavioral problems associated with attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorders, social maladjustment and behavioral problems associated with emotional disorders. These children often do not meet Pennsylvania standards for specially designed instruction and thus provide the regular education teacher with unique challenges. The course addresses specific educational and behavioral techniques which increase chances for student success in the regular classroom.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Identify characteristics of conduct disorders, oppositional/defiant disorder, attention deficit/ hyperactive disorder, social maladjustment and behavior problems associated with emotional disorders.
- Describe the Pennsylvania laws and standards for identifying students with special needs.
- Discuss challenges teachers have when working with students who exhibit behavioral disorders.
- Define techniques that can be used with students who have various types of behavioral disorders.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of children who have behavioral disorders.
- Discuss screening, pre-referral interventions and referral.
- Definition of behavioral disorders
- Characteristics of conduct disorders, oppositional/defiant disorder, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, social maladjustment and behavior problems associated with emotional disorders
- Pennsylvania standards for identifying students with behavioral disorders
- Services provided for students with behavioral disorders
- Educating students with behavioral disorders in the regular classroom
- Alternatives for children with behavioral disorders that need more intervention than can be provided in the regular classroom
- Educational and behavioral techniques for teaching students with behavioral disorders
Current reference materials.
Approved By: Johnson, Alex Date Approved: 03/21/2011
Course and Section Search
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)