North, West Hills
This program prepares the student to work in the new green economy and to educate community members in resource conservation, alternative energy options and sustainable home design. This certificate is designed for both current building industry professionals and new home and business owners. Students are taught design and construction processes with the integration of sustainability from conception and planning to design, site selection and construction. Sustainability is interwoven into all aspects of every course.
Graduates may seek employment as a green building consultants/analysts or preservation technicians, applying for advancement opportunities in the green field within the building design field.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will:
- Discuss the key practices of sustainable buildings.
- Establish competencies in applying Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and other relevant criteria or established guidelines.
- Analyze the costs and benefits of incorporating sustainable building measures.
- Apply relevant Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Energy (DOE) laws to design principles.
- Establish sustainable design goals for project development.